Monday, 10 August 2015 11:56:31 AM
Police are appealing for assistance after a child was approached in Austinmer, near Wollongong, last week.
About 8.10am (Friday 7 August 2015), a nine-year-old boy was walking along Allen Street, when an older style white van with a metallic stripe down the side stopped beside him.
The driver, a man, spoke to the boy who became afraid and ran from the location.
The boy spoke to his father who contacted police.
Officers from Wollongong Local Area Command commenced an investigation.
Police would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has information that may assist.
The man was described as being aged between 50 and 60, with grey hair, a long grey beard and was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses.
Police are urging anyone with information in relation to these incidents to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.
Meanwhile, the incident has again prompted police to encourage parents to discuss the ‘Safe People, Safe Places’ messages with their children, including;
– Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.
– Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.
– Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.
– Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.
– Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.
– If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.
– If someone tries to grab you, yell out, ‘Go away, I don’t know you’. This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don’t know.